Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Listening to the World, One Red Sox Game at a Time

Have you ever seen one of those MasterCard commercials where they list the prices of random objects which end up leading to their favorite slogan? Priceless. But still, when does MasterCard know what is priceless and what isn’t? Things that can be purchased tend to have a price, but how come the commercials never end with something like “Listening to a quiet song on your iPod while talking to your dad about the Sox; priceless.”? When does something reach the pantheon of pricelessness? And furthermore, how does a cup of coffee cost $6.95??

My personal favorite activity these days happens mostly every night (or, on the weekends, in the daytime) and I don’t have to exert any energy, except for crying out in anguish at a moronic umpire. It’s a relaxing yet nervous nine innings of baseball on the stations of NESN, or FOX, or ESPN, or even the occasional TBS. I spend this time with my dad and we talk about the world, politics, families, friends, pets, and a lot else; but mostly it’s all about the Red Sox, baby.

It’s normally about 15 minutes till gametime, unless I have a prior commitment (homework, usually), and we crack open a couple of sodas and maybe a bag of chips. He and I comment on how it seems like JD Drew has been injured for about 6 decades, and how we can’t really hate the Rays, but we don’t care for them. The game starts with Lester on the mound (or Dice-K/Beckett) with the exception of either away games or one of the other seven starting pitchers we’ve had this season taking the hill. There’s usually one or two questionable (cough, cough) calls here and there, but mostly the game is fair. Somebody hits a homer, probably Youk or Papi, and Dustin Pedroia always seems to have 2 hits in the game. (Atta boy, Dustin!) If Jacoby Ellsbury is playing, we will have stolen a base, which causes Dad and me to whisper intensly…Yes! If the games are close, 99% of the time Papelbon comes in and shuts down the next three batters.

Once in a great while, the game we watch will be a little more important than the usual ones. A playoff game is almost more intense to watch than it is to play in, when it comes to our Red Sox. Dad and I are freaking out whenever the Sox are pitching; and then we can breathe for half an inning when Boston is at the plate. Once in an even greater while, it’s a World Series game (This has only occurred twice in my life) and we’re nervous and dysfunctional throughout the entire nine innings. If we win the series (God willing) there is much rejoicing and almost a little bit of sadness for those who we wish could have been around to see this glorious moment. Those are the best feelings in the world.

On the other side of the ball, material possessions are very nice to have. Specifically, my iPod is a great thing to own. The ability to simply touch a device two or three times and instantly hear “Hey Jude” is a pretty cool piece of technology. The emotions of all of my music are amazing, and the sheer rock-your-#@*$!&^-face-off ability of others is just a sickeningly delicious combination. To transition seamlessly between the two should be considered a federal crime.

I use my iPod whenever I need to get excited, get relaxed, or get Zeppelined. Except for school days, it never leaves my pocket (except to charge). Plus, I think that schools should allow students to bring in iPods for quizzes or even (shudder) standardized testing. Having a big exam with Baba O’Reilly (It's a song by The Who, might also be known as Teenage Wasteland) would get me to study more. My iPod is also a great thing to have because it doubles as a clock, light, and even a gaming device (BrickBreaker). So, with the MP3’s running through my head, I love listening to my iPod.

Now, when it comes to my Red Sox, there is almost nothing greater than those games; but my iPod is a close second. The way that anything can happen in baseball is quite related to the way that the music can change at any time on an iPod. Both are very valuable, but both can also be put together to make something great. Music and baseball make rooting for the game and enjoying the music so much easier. For example, “Tessie” was a great song about the Red Sox written by Dropkick Murphys, and I keep it on one device and one device only: …if you can’t guess it, you haven’t read this very well (Hint: a lot of things are valuable…including iPods!)

12 comments:

Nathaniel said...

I thought your “about me” was funny >ha, ha<

Peter,

I enjoyed your essay a lot. Even though I like the Yankees I still get that same feeling of oh my, the Yanks are pitching now and when they bat they have nothing to lose so I’m not as nervous. I also understand the homers and runs scored it very exhilarated. I also liked your description of what you do with your I-pod. I also noticed that you seem to like doing things with your dad.

I thought that the Baseball game was described the best of the two objects or moments. I felt that there was something to be desired. I felt that you didn’t describe as much as you told me about it. You should try to make it sound like its happening in present tense like the game is about to start, and I’m giddy inside or something similar.

I thought that your writing style was a huge strength. I think that you write very well from what I have read by you. It is always creative and very original. I also think that your description of your I-pod was done well.

Though your essay was good it was not flawless. I saw that your conclusion and comparison are only one paragraph. Did you stop once the word count met 700 or something? Also you didn’t do enough of putting your object in motion and telling me what it is like to play that I-Pod and what it feels like to listen to it.

-Nate B-Block

Erin said...

Hi Peter!!

I think you did a really good job in your introductary paragraph when you talked about the MasterCard comercial. That was great. lol.

I think that you best described watching the Red Sox games with your dad every night or on the weekends. You used really interesting words(most of which I've never heard of before), but seemed to make perfect sense with everything else.

I think your overall strength would be your organization. To me, being a reader, it sounded a lot like you knew exactly where you wanted things to be...and you knew how you were going to say it...and you did it perfectly.

In all honesty, i think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your essay. There might be a few spelling or gramatical errors, but i wouldn't cahnge anything. This essay was the first one i read that really didnt need any work(i read yours last though). But still, that should be a HUGE compliment.

p.s. i liked your about me too!
take that Nathaniel

Ben said...

Great title For your blog. HAHAHA

I really enjoyed your essay. I love the redsox as well. They are the best team around, no matter what Nathaniel said. But you made it really obvious that the one value that is priceless to you is watching the red sox with your dad. And your one item of financial worth is your very dear ipod.

I think that the item that you most clearly described was your priceless moment, which was watching the sox with your dad. i do that too a lot and i know how it feels to watch it with your dad,(except he has beer, not soda). It was really well described and very well written.

I think that your overall strength is the detail that you gave in your essay. Both your ipod and the experience of watching a sox game with your dad was very well described. It felt like i was you, doing what you did that day.

One piece of advice that i would give to you would be to write your priceless moment as if it was actually happening. That was what we were supose to do and i think it would affect your grade if you didn't.

Nathaniel said...

Uh take what Erin?

lol jk.

Will the pill said...

Peter believes that our society gets caught up in material things. He talks about the Mastercard commercials, and how they lure people in to exotic places, or expensive items. He also gives a jab at coffee being so expensive. He values things that are not so expensive, especially time at home with family and the Sox.

Peter is more descriptive when talking about baseball. I think he enjoys this, because he can spend time with his dad at the same time. I like how he puts in his own comments after a thought. He does this after he sees Dustin Pedroia get a hit and Peter sneaks in "Atta boy Dustin!" Peter gets his points across in a comical way.

Peter's writing is well-written and uses great vocabulary. His thoughts are connected and makes it easy for the reader to follow. It's also fun to read! You just never know what Pete may come up with.

This is such a good essay that it's hard to give much advice. I would suggest possibly talking about the i-pod more. Maybe describe it in a bit more detail. Overall, super job on this.

Will the pill said...

Peter I actually did not find anything wrong with your essay. DUDE, YOU SHOULD BECOME AN AUTHOR

Peter said...

YAH! I LIKE GOOD COMMENTS!

IF I COMMENT ON MY OWN ESSAY, WOULD THE WORLD BE DESTROYED?

PLUS, DID YOU KNOW THAT SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE HAS A WEEKEND UPDATE SPECIAL ON THURSDAYS??? CRAzY!?>

Peter said...

NATHANIEL!!!!

I sort of forgot the due date for the essay, so my ending needs to be a little longer.

STOP POINTING OUT MY FLAWS!!!!1

Hannahhh! :] said...

hey pete peteee!!!!

i like your essay and im watching you right now....HAHA its because im next to you and youre making a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long poll.

Erin said...

ok...the first one was funny but the second one made me run away screaming...im surprised i didnt pee my pants!..lol.


thanks though!

betty said...

P-E-T-A. YOUR GOOGOO'S NOT THERE.

betty said...

hi peter! i liked your essay. and your ground sloth.